Friday, February 10, 2012

German Chocolate "Dump" Cake


It's time for a few Valentine's treats! And THIS one should be just the thing!
I love the ease of making a dump cake, but even though this isn't what I would consider a dump cake it sounds DELISH! Then at the end of the recipe it refers to the cake as an earthquake type cake. I don't know where the recipe came from (an am not trying to bash it!) I do think I'll give it a try. Then I think I'll add some of my frozen sweet cherries as part of the decoration. If it works out as I expect it will, I'll probably add cherry pie filling dolloped over the unbaked cake to add to it. I love a "typical" cherry dump cake and think the addition of the coconut and frosting will make this something very holiday like. Can't you see it "dressed" up for Valentine's Day or Christmas?

GERMAN CHOCOLATE DUMP CAKE

2 c. chopped nuts
1 can coconut
1 pkg. German chocolate cake mix

ICING:

1 stick butter
1 (8 oz.) cream cheese
1 box powdered sugar

Butter oblong 9 x 13 inch pan. Pack pecans in bottom of pan. Press coconut on top of pecans. Mix cake by directions on the box and pour into pan on top of coconut and nuts.
Melt 1 stick butter, add cream cheese and powdered sugar. Pour over unbaked cake. Bake at 300 degrees for 1 hour. This cake is sometimes called earthquake because it falls in center when baked.

No comments:

Post a Comment