Tuesday, August 30, 2011

National Marshmallow Toasting Day


National Marshmallow Toasting Day OR Toasted Marshmallow Day !

Which is correct? I see it both ways and don't know which is the right way. I guess for the moment it will remain a mystery and I'll try to figure it out! Then it will give me something to post about next year! Yes, next year. I plan on being here! Don't you?

Did you know you can make your own marshmallows? It's TRUE! NO joke! Here's proof!

Homemade Marshmallows

2 tbsp unflavored gelatin
3/4 c cold water
2 c sugar
1/8 tsp salt
3/4 c boiling water
1 tbsp vanilla
Chopped nuts or toasted flaked coconut for coating (optional)

Soften gelatin in cold water 5 minutes; then dissolve by stirring over hot water. Combine sugar, salt and boiling water in 2-qt. heavy saucepan; cook, stirring until sugar dissolves, to the soft crack stage (280). Pour into mixing bowl along with the gelatin mixture and beat at low speed for 3 minutes; continue beating at medium speed for 10 minutes or until mixture is fluffy and creamy. Add vanilla and pour into an 8" square pan dusted witn confectioners sugar. Cool 1/2 hour or until set, then cut in 36 spuares with knife moistened in water. Roll in nuts or coconut. Place in airtight container and put in refrigerator,freezer, or other cold place until ready to use.
Source: Farm Journal

I haven't tried these yet, but would love to try them. Maybe if I made them for a hoiday I could take them along and then have a sample and not overload on sugar.

Can I pretend you heard it here first?

No comments:

Post a Comment